With a lot of stressful things going on in my life this summer, I am super duper looking forward to heading along to the launch of Aberdeen’s latest haunt, The Spiritualist, on Thursday.
The Spiritualist is a cocktail bar with food, and I can’t help but wonder if it will fill the hole left by Badabings when I moved back north after uni? Badabings is an Italian-American mob/gangster themed cocktail bar by the canal in Edinburgh, and holds a special place in my heart. Since I don’t go out very much (read: ever) I have never found somewhere that can fill that gap in my new life, but I have also never heard of anywhere that sounds like it could fill the boots. Could The Spiritualist be The One?
Now it’s no secret that I’m not much of a drinker, but I do enjoy a wee cocktail from time to time – so will The Spiritualist be offering anything that catches my eyes?
The answer is yes! With more than 20 pages in their menu, I have managed to pick out the 5 drinks I’m most looking forward to…
- Ice Spheres. What is this sorcery?! Cocktails presented in one of The Spiritualist’s “signature ice spheres”? Available with a margarita, cosmopolitan, silver lady and a variety of flavours of daiquiri. I’m not the biggest fan of ice in my drink (sensitive toothies) but I LOVE fun ice (and quirky things). The silver lady and strawberry daiquiri are calling my name…
- Hollaback Girl. “A drink established in 2010, we just couldn’t get away from it because it’s that good. Chambord liqueur, and our raspberry and kiwi infused vodka mixed with raspberry and apple.” It’s sassy, Gwen Stefani-esque name does add to the curiosity surrounding this drink. It was a toss up between this and the Fixer Elixer ( a mojito with an apple and kiwi twist).
- Clover Club. Described as “Beefeater gin, fresh raspberries, sugar syrup, lemon juice and egg white.” I’m not totally sure how I feel about the sneaky little addition of egg white at the end there, but everything else sounds alright so I guess maybe it works!
- Raspberry No-jito. No you didn’t read that wrong – The Spiritualist has a dedicated mocktail (alcohol free cocktail) list and it makes me SO HAPPY. As well as the no-jito, they are offering a virgin tai, holding hands on the beach and red berry bliss, followed by a disclaimer which reads “If none of our spiritless drinks are tickling your fancy please talk to one of our bartenders to get something made just the way you like it”. There is also a soft drinks menu
- Nitrofusions. Another quirky addition to the menu! Choose from vodka, gin or rum, add a couple of flavours of your choice and the people at the bar work some mixology magic (with a dash of fancy science) before topping it up with the mixer of your choice!
And it’s not just there drinks menu that looks pretty good with their food menu looking pretty darn tasty too! You can find the full menu on their Facebook page but here are some of my personal picks (if you can feed one of the fussiest eaters in existence then you’re on to a pretty good thing I would say!)
What do you think? Does The Spiritualist tickle your fancy?